Sunday, January 7, 2018

Twelve-Steps Art Challenge - Post Card Swap - Postmark by February 12th

Most of our group swap themes are open to interpretation.  This time, I thought I'd put on my teacher hat and dictate what you must do, in a particular order.  There won't be a grade, no pressure here, and I don't have a ruler in my hand :)  This idea came to me last year as I was trying to fall asleep, so you know it must be good!  (???)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm asking you to trust me and to
commit to this without reading through the specific 
numbered DIRECTIONS (below) ahead of time.
Take it ONE STEP AT A TIME as I walk you through it.   
I dare you not to look ahead at the 12 specific directions!  
Honor system. 

Gather these materials before you start:  
  • 1 - 4 CARDSTOCK POST CARD BLANKS
  • WHITE PAPER AND BITS OF TEXT, MISC. PAPER OR EXTRA CARDSTOCK
  • SCISSORS (PAPER CUTTER OPTIONAL)
  • WHITE/CRAFT GLUE
  • PAINT AND/OR INK (several colors if desired)
  • INK PEN OR FINE-POINT MARKER
  • A PENCIL WITH A NEW (FLAT) RUBBER ERASER, or, a Q-tip swab sticks (pinkie finger will do in a pinch)
  • OPTIONAL RUBBER STAMP(S) & INK PAD(s)
  • SMALL JAR LID, ROUND OBJECT or STENCIL WITH CIRCLE SHAPES - 1+1/2" - 2+1/2" across (diameter)

If you lack any particular medium/material called for, improvise.  
And- have fun!

THEME:  Twelve-Steps Art
MEDIA:  Mixed
TECHNIQUE:  Paint, ink, rubber stamping, collage
SIZE PARAMETERS:  6" x 4+1/4"

Make 1 - 4 cards (most fun if made simultaneously).  PLEASE follow these instructions as closely as you possibly can.  Read and do Step #1, then move on to Step #2, etc.


OKAY.  

READ STEP #1 BELOW 
then
STOP READING
and 
BEGIN WORKING ON YOUR POSTCARD(S).

HONOR SYSTEM!  
NO PEEKING AHEAD!  
HERE GOES!


DIRECTIONS:

1.)  Apply one color (ink or paint) by brush, sponge, hand, Gelli plate, etc. to cover 1/3 of a white post card blank.  Allow to dry.


2.)  Cover the remaining 2/3 of your card with a different color (see step #1).  Now, you have two colors on your card.  Let it dry.


3.)  Cut THREE LONG, THIN STRIPS of white paper or card stock.  They can be of equal or different widths.  (Make them long enough to cover your card in case you might eventually arrange them PARALLEL to each other, PERPENDICULAR to each other,  OR AT AN ANGLE.)


4.)  Decorate your three strips with paint, ink, marker, or rubber stamps.  They can appear to be THE SAME OR DIFFERENT.


5.)  Arrange these three strips in any way and glue them down over your two-paint background.  Trim off any extra hanging over the edges of your post card.


6.)  Find a pencil with a smooth eraser at the end.  Press the eraser into some  paint smeared on a waterproof surface (like freezer paper or a plastic lid), OR, press eraser into ink or an ink pad.  Make FIVE paint or ink CIRCLES next to two of the three thin paper strips.  Allow to dry.  (This is where Q-tip swabs or pinkie fingers may be substituted.)


(NOTE:  If you have "goofed" in any way so far, be brave and press onward...)


7.)  Trace around a jar lid, round object or stencil ONTO A PIECE OF ANY TYPE OF PAPER (news print, book print, magazine page, cardstock, etc.) to MAKE ONE CIRCLE BETWEEN 1+1/2" AND 2+1/2" ACROSS.  CUT IT OUT.   


8.)  DECORATE this circle AS YOU WISH (paint, ink, stamping, etc.).


9.)  Take your circle and CUT IT IN HALF, then CUT THE HALVES IN HALF.  You should end up with 4 pieces that look like quarter-pizza slices :)


10.)  Arrange these four quarter-circle pieces as you wish on your post card and glue them down.


11.)  Now find a pen or fine-point marker and add some ASCEMIC WRITING to at least one area of your card.   (Ascemic writing is nonsensical scribbling.) 


12.)  Complete your design with optional rubber stamped image(s), then scuff around the edges of each card with an ink pad to give it a finished look.  (Okay to use a sealing medium if desired.)  Let it dry, write on the back, package it up, send it in.

Well, what do you think?  Was it fun?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

12 Steps? Makes me think of AA or NA, lol, and since those are life-saving and life-improving organizations, I'm down with 12 Step art, as well. So if I've understood your directions, now that I've commented, and I didn't look first, now I can go read the 12 steps. I hope that's right, 'cause that's what I'm gonna do!!

JoyceB

KR said...

You brave soul, Joyce. We're treading on uncharted ground here, as I'm not sure this has ever been done before, smiles. However, there is a very old saying: "There's nothing new under the sun." I hope everyone who participates has fun with this swap. Honi

mj and daisy said...

I just made a set of 3 cards simultaneously. It was a fun process.

KR said...

YAY! Thanks for participating in this swap. Honi

Cynthia said...

I just finished my cards and worked on the first 2 simultaneously. I loved the results and had fun also.

Post a Comment